18th Annual Lavender Graduation
Friday, May 4th, 2018
Reception: 6:15-6:30 PM
Ceremony: 6:30-8:30 PM
Alumni House (1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720)
The Gender Equity Resource Center and our partners are excited to invite you to the 18th annual Lavender Graduation Celebration! Lavender Graduation, now in its 18th year, is the UCB end of year celebration honoring UC Berkeley’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, intersex and queer graduating seniors, graduate students and allies. Everyone is invited to attend and celebrate the end of the academic journey at Cal.
Please fill out the registration form, see below, before Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 at Noon (or whenever we reach capacity, whichever comes first), to let us know you are attending. It is particularly important for us to know the number of graduates so we may have a count for the rainbow tassels, your name will not appear on the program if you fill out the registration form after May 1st.
All graduates and guests must complete the registration form. Please NO Caps and Gowns. Save those for university and department graduations.
Seeking Undergraduate and Graduate Student Speakers:
Undergraduate and Graduate Students are invited to apply for one of the 3 student speaker slots at this year’s LGBTQ+ graduation celebration .
Eligibility: UCB Undergraduate or Graduate Students who will be on the degree list for either spring, summer or fall 2018 or who graduated December 2017.
Up to 3 speakers will be chosen with at least one speaker being a graduate student (masters, doctorate, professional degree). The selection of students will be based on their service within the campus or off campus LGBTQ+ communities, and who have a cogent, engaging and inspirational story or message to their fellow graduates. We value a diversity of speakers and Cal LGBTQ+ experiences and thus encourage students from various parts of campus to apply. Please prepare your remarks to be no longer than 5-8 mins.
Each speaker will receive a Cal Rainbow Graduation Stole in addition to the Rainbow Tassel all graduates receive.
Deadline to apply for student speaker is : Thursday April 19, 2018, 11:59PM
If you have any questions, please contact Billy Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510)643-0788
Past Keynote Speakers:
- 2017: Xamuel Bañales Ph.D, Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies, CSU Stanislaus
- 2016: Alex Randolph (Board of Trustees, City College of San Francisco)
- 2015: Cara Stanley, M.A. (Director, Student Learning Center, UC Berkeley)
- 2014: Rafael Mandelman (Board of Trustees, City College of San Francisco)
- 2013: John A. Pérez (California Speaker of the Assembly)
- 2012: Judy Appel (Executive Director, Our Family Coalition)
- 2011: George Zamora (Policy and Program Analyst, Student Affairs, UC Office of the President)
- 2010: Christopher Cabaldon (Mayor, West Sacramento)
- 2009: Deb L. Kinney (Lawyer and LGBT Activist)
- 2008: Christopher Daley (Co-Founder of Transgender Law Center)
- 2007: Susan Stryker (Author and Filmmaker)
- 2006: Aleem Raja (Public Defender & SF Pride Parade Grand Marshall)
- 2005: Bevan Dufty (San Francisco City Supervisor, District 8, 2000-2011)
- 2003: Jackie Goldberg (California State Assemblywoman, 2000-2006)